Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup with Sage


So before Food Network magazine had 50 Holiday Cookies and Mashed Potatoes 50 Ways, there was 50 Easy Soups. I looked through all of my favorite cookbooks to find a butternut squash soup recipe to make for my last dinner with Jillian (well for a while at least). Jillian is moving home to Michigan to save up money before she travels around the world volunteering as a teacher for children in need. For more on that, check out her blog http://servemyworld.tumblr.com/ She’s amazing to say the least.


Food Network magazine came to the rescue and I consulted their 50 Easy Soups booklet for inspiration. I made the Butternut Squash Sage Soup.


Saute 2 diced shallots and chopped fresh sage leaves in 4 Tablespoons of butter until soft. Add salt, pepper, 2 pounds of diced butternut squash 3 1/2 cups of vegetable broth and 1 1/2 cups of apple cider. Simmer until tender, then puree in food processor or with your immersion blender (I’m jealous if you have one). Add nutmeg (a couple shakes) and top with creme fraiche or sour cream and fried sage leaves.

Jillian and I enjoyed our soup with grilled cheese topped with fresh avocados from my backyard. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment